My Lunch Observation

Our assignment: to go sit in a cafe and observe someone who is a patron then write a short story using what you observed.
I observed a woman sitting in a corner, she was glaring at each bite of her pastry and hiding her face from the rest of the restaurant. My short story was recieved well by my instructor so I thought I would do the lazy thing and use it for a blog post as well instead of doing a real blog post
Sitting here at my my table, eating lunch alone again. Why did I choose to eat this pastry ? I’m definitely going to regret this, my diet is not going well. I feel like everyone is staring at me, they’re probably thinking “she does not need another pastry”. My iced tea has much too much sugar in it, I probably shouldn’t drink it. Why are they staring at me? Looking around nobody is actually looking at me, but I can’t help but regret this bright green shirt I chose to wear. The newspaper is just as depressing as my waistline, issues seem to just keep growing. Why is she looking at me? There’s this girl in the corner, it seems like she keeps looking at me, she takes a bite of her sandwich and now she’s writing something down! Is she writing about me? Probably not, I’m a very uninteresting specimen, nobody would be interested in studying me. Why am I eating this pastry? My mother’s words keep echoing through my head “a moment on your lips, a lifetime on your hips”, no wonder I feel so ashamed. Everyone is staring at me, why am I hiding my face? Why am I so paranoid? Do I have anything planned this week? Of course I don’t, my day planner is as barren as my pantry after a night of midnight snacking. She is writing about me! Fine, well then this is a perfect time to start writing my book, it will be entitled “My Lunch Under Observation”, we’ll see how she feels about someone taking notes on her. The small girl takes a bite of her sandwich, she takes a note on a piece of paper, now she’s eating part of her friend’s muffin, she takes a drink, she looks at me, she takes a drink. This is such a boring book, nobody will read it. Good, she’s leaving, now I can enjoy my pastry.

1 complaints:

Anonymous said...

Cool!

Post a Comment